I always try to have a package of precooked meatballs in the freezer for a quick weeknight dinner. There’s a lot of different brands of frozen meatballs for soup, and Rema 1000 meatballs are the one that came out on top – both for taste and price.
I take up the meatballs from the freezer and let them sit at room temperature while cooking the tomato soup, then adding them to the finished soup.
Make a big batch, it freezes so easy.
You will need:
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 packs pureed tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 dl vegetable stock or 1 pc vegetable broth cube
- 1 – 2 dl cooking cream or madlavningsfløde in danish
- 3 cups frozen meatballs or homemade meatball
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pc garlic bread
- In a medium pan, heat oil and saute the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add all the seasonings – cumin, coriander, and oregano.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vegetable stock or broth cube, and cooking cream. Stir well. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat down to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In another pot, boil and cook the pasta for 3 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the meatballs in the soup before serving, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread.