Tinolang Tahong or Mussels in ginger broth is a very nutritious and delicious soup that is basically made with mussels, garlic, onion, ginger, and leafy greens like
You will need:
- 2 tbsp cooking
- 1 thumb-size ginger, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 500 grams shelled mussels or tahong
- 4 cups of water
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 100 g spinach, malunggay, or chili leaves
- If using fresh mussels, wash them and place them in a bowl. I wash the mussels in running water then drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute ginger, garlic, and onion in oil. When the onion becomes translucent, add the mussels. Stir-fry for about two minutes or until the juice comes out.
- Add water—season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Simmer until the tahong shells have all opened.
- Add fish sauce. Add your leafy greens and simmer for less than 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.