My family is craving a light but tasty meal after our heavy meal during the Mortensaften (St. Martin’s Day) dinner. Therefore, I got an idea to use Planets Pride dusted squid – deep-fry them until crisp, then tossed in my homemade sweet and sour sauce with bell peppers, onions, pineapple coupled with steamed white rice. We absolutely love this dish and it is not difficult to make.
This post is sponsored by Planets Pride A/S.
Planets Pride calamari are so good. They are incredibly quick and easy to cook. You don’t even need a deep-fryer, just a saucepan, enough oil, and a food thermometer and you are good to go.
I got an idea to make one of my family’s favorite takeout food, the Sweet and sour stir fry food. Normally, I would make this with chicken, but when you have a big bag of frozen dusted squid from Planets Pride, you switch things up and go with squid. My family and I are actually happy that I cook this because it was tasty and delicious. 😊
Recipes using Planets Pride products
- Sriracha Tuna Stuffed Avocado with Spring Onions
- Honey-Soy Glazed Tuna with Ginger and Peppers
- How to Cook Tempura Shrimp
- Black Bao Buns Filled with Tempura Shrimp and Coleslaw
- Tempura Shrimp with Curry (Danish Style)
- How to Cook Crispy Fried Calamari
Frozen Dusted Squid
I’m using Planets Pride A/S frozen dusted squid; both rings and tentacles are included in the package. These seafood are already pre-cut and coated, so you don’t have to deal with the cleaning, cutting, and coating the squid. All you have to do is cook it up. 👍
But remember, when cooking calamari, be sure to watch the clock carefully because calamari becomes rubbery if left in the hot oil for too long.
For better results, keep Dusted Squid frozen until ready to use or fry. Once thawed, do not refreeze. And if you’re living in Denmark, you can find their products in some chosen Asian and local stores.
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
For 4 servings, you will need:
For the Calamari
- frozen dusted squid from Planets Pride
- enough cooking oil for deep-frying
For the vegetables
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 small can pineapple bits
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 100 ml hot water
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 100 ml ketchup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1,5 tbsp vinegar
- pineapple juice from the pineapple in the can
- salt and pepper to taste
- steamed white rice or fried rice
Before cooking the Calamari, I recommend preparing the sweet and sour sauce first and cook rice. My favorite cooking method for Tempura is deep-fry. You can use a wok, pan, or a deep-fryer. Add enough oil then heat the oil to medium-high. If you want to learn more about how I deep-fry Calamari, please visit my post here.
How to make Sweet and Sour Calamari
1.If serving with rice, prepare it first then set aside.
2. Start by preparing the vegetables and sauce mixture.
3. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch with warm water. In another bowl, combine the rest of the sauce ingredients. Then mix both of the sauces.
4. Add some cooking oil in a saucepan and fry vegetables (except pineapple) for approx. 2 minutes on high heat, or longer if you want slightly softer vegetables.
5. Then transfer the cooked vegetables to a plate and lower the heat to medium-high.
6. Using the same saucepan, add the sauce mixture and stir constantly until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
7. Once your sauce is cooking, you can now preheat the oil for deep-frying the calamari—heat oil to 180 degrees Celcius (350F). Carefully submerge frozen dusted squid directly in hot oil. Deep fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Then transfer the fried Calamari to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess oil.
8. Check the thickness of your sauce, once you’re satisfied, lower the heat to low and add the cooked vegetables, pineapple, and fried calamari. Gently toss for 1 to 2 minutes to coat everything. Taste for seasoning.
9. Remove from the heat and serve over rice. Enjoy! 😃