Braising is one of the easiest ways to infuse delicious flavor into food. This braised soya chicken is tender, bathed in a savory sauce, and perfect over a bed of rice.
This dish is amazingly simple to make. Once all the ingredients get piled into one pot, turn on the stove, and walk away. The aroma one hour later will bring you back hungry.
Let’s make this simple dish together and enjoy it with your family for dinner.
You will need:
- 200 ml of water
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 – 8 chicken thighs, bone-in skin-on
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Start by combining water, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, sugar, oyster sauce, star anise, and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Then add the chicken, garlic, spring onions, and onion.
- Turn on high heat and allow it to bubble approx. 3 minutes. Then put on the lid and lower heat to medium-high for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir.
- Put the lid again and cook on medium heat for approx. 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Voila! Then you have a huge easy and quick braised soya chicken cooked full of delicious flavors.
- Serve with rice and vegetables. Rice noodles or egg noodles are good too.
- This dish can be made the night before and heated up after work. Then it is recommended to have approx— 50 ml. extra water since the flavors will absorb well and the sauce will be slightly thicker.