Beef and vegetables are slow-roasted in red wine and seasoned with fragrant herbs for a tender and richly flavored dinner.
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
For 4 servings of Roasted Beef, you will need:
- cooking oil, for frying
- 1,2 kg beef shoulder
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced into thick chunks
- 4 celery sticks, washed and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 400 ml red wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 4 dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper
For the brown sauce
- 25 grams butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- drippings from the beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- These directions are for a clay pot, like the Romertopf. oak the Römertopf with the lid for 30 min in cold water – Important Step!
- Place the vegetables in the bottom of the pot.
- Brown the beef on a hot pan in a little oil. Give 2 minutes each side.
- Then transfer the beef to the clay pot. Pour over the red wine, then sprinkle the dried spices.
- Place lid on top of the clay pot and carefully place it on the center rack of your cold oven. Heat the oven to 160C or 320F and cook for 3 hours. ou want to cook the meat until tender, but the doneness is up to your preference.
- Save the drippings and use them for making the sauce. In a small saucepan, melt 25g butter then add 1 tbsp plain flour. Whisk to combine then add all the drippings. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and vegetables with brown sauce. Enjoy!