Roasting a chicken is one of the simplest dishes to make in the kitchen. Regardless of your skill, you will succeed at this basic recipe.
We always have leftovers when I roast a whole chicken, and I used those leftover meats to make a simple soup with vegetables. They are also useful for making filling for your tacos.
How long to bake a whole chicken
The cook time for specific chicken may vary depending on how big it is and how hot your oven burns or heat. I always use my meat thermometer and insert it into the thickest part of the chicken meat. It gives me peace of mind that my chicken won’t be under or overcooked.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, maybe these tips can help you determine the doneness of your roast chicken.
- Check or weigh your chicken and calculate the cooking time according to this guide – 45 minutes per kilogram, plus 20 minutes.
- Set the chicken in a roasting tin and don’t cover it with foil, or you won’t get a crisp skin.
- Pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer or fork and let the juices run out. If they are clear, then the chicken is cooked, but if they still look pink, return it to the oven and give 15 minutes more baking time.
Try my other best whole chicken recipes
- Whole Oven Roasted Chicken with Lemon Rosemary Garlic Butter
- Oven-Baked Butterfly Chicken with Garlic, Lemon, and Potatoes
- Creamed Chicken with White Aspargus in Tartlets
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
You will need:
- 1 whole chicken, giblets removed if present
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oven (with fan) to 200 degrees Celcius (390F).
- Dry the chicken well inside and out with paper towels.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, then season with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Roast the chicken on the middle rack of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the meat is just cooked and the juices run clear. The skin should be deeply browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to sit for about 5 minutes before carving.