Shepherd’s pie is a classic food recipe that’s healthy, hearty, and filling. The bottom layer is a simple mix of ground beef and vegetables. Then, it’s topped with fluffy creamy mashed potatoes and grated cheese that form a golden crust.
This is an easy, cozy meal the whole family will love!
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you!
For 4 servings of Shepherd’s Pie, you will need:
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely grated
- 500 grams ground beef
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 beef broth cube
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme or fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dl red wine (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 kg potato, peeled and quartered
- 2 – 3 tbsp milk or heavy cream
- 75 grams butter
- grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the meat and use your spatula to break up the meat while cooking. Cook for 10 minutes until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. And simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
For the potato filling
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes then mashed them using a hand mixer until slightly creamy. Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mash until creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Assemble the Shepherds Pie
- Place the cooked meat sauce into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Place the mashed potatoes on top of the meat. Use a rubber spatula to spread evenly the potato topping. If desired, create a texture in the potato topping with a fork.
- Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and the edges are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy!