Risengrød or Danish rice pudding in English is a very traditional and famous dish in Denmark. Risengrød is mostly served in the month of December and especially in the time around the Christmas days. We prefer to eat it with cinnamon sugar (lots of it
This old-fashioned Rice Pudding recipe is so creamy with the perfect texture. Only a handful of ingredients and a little patience are needed to make this old-time favorite breakfast, dessert, or dinner.
For 2 servings, you will need:
- 90 g short-grained white rice (pudding rice)
- 125 ml boiling water
- 500 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the cinnamon sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- cinnamon sugar
- salted butter
- Pour the rice and boiling water into a medium-sized saucepan. Let it boil for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and let it boil while stirring.
- Let the rice pudding boil lightly/simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should thicken up to the consistency of yogurt.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Make the cinnamon sugar, then serve the rice pudding or risengrød with a tablespoon of butter and the cinnamon sugar.