We love airy pizza snails! When they are entirely freshly baked, and as lunch in the bag when we are on a trip. I have baked my pizza snails with a store-bought dough mix for many years, as I think they become nicely airy. Now I have found a recipe for lovely and light pizza snails, so now there is no longer a bread mix involved. 😊
Pizza snails can easily be frozen; then, you can pick them up from the freezer in the morning, so they are ready to eat at lunchtime. For the filling, you can, of course, choose your favorite filling. 😃👍
For 16 pieces of Pizza Snails, you will need:
- 400 grams all-purpose flour or bread flour (3 cups + about 1/4 cup)
- 20 grams white sugar (1.5 tbsp)
- a pinch of salt
- 6 grams instant dry yeast or 18g fresh yeast or 7g active dry yeast
- 200 grams lukewarm water (3/4 cup + 1 tbsp)
- 25 grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled until lukewarm (1.5 tbsp)
- 1 large egg room temperature
- Pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 100 grams shredded cheese
- 100 grams ham sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried oregano
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 200g flour, sugar, salt, and instant dry yeast. Then add lukewarm water, melted butter, and an egg.
- Using a dough hook, knead the dough while gradually adding the rest of the 200g flour. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes, or until it passes the gluten stretch test.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover, and let it rest in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- Once proofed, punch down the dough and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangle and spread evenly the pizza sauce, drizzle the shredded cheese (save some for later), add sliced ham or your favorite filling, then season with dried oregano.
- Preheat oven (up and down heat) to 200C/390F.
- Roll tightly into a sausage. Cut out with a sharp knife about 16 pieces of approx. 2-3 cm. Place the snails on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Let the snails rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Before baking, season pizza snails with salt and pepper, then sprinkle extra shredded cheese on top (optional).
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Enjoy!