Roast Chicken is really delicious, and in this recipe, you get a delicious chicken with crispy skin and juicy meat.
Chicken can be something special, and citrus fruit like a lemon softens the meat and gives off an amazing scent and taste.
The combination of roast chicken and lemon/rosemary is quite wonderful. Add garlic butter to the mixture that goes under the breast skin.
How long to bake a whole chicken
The cook time for specific chicken may vary depending on how big it is and how hot your oven burns.
Can I use other fresh herbs?
Yes, this oven-baked whole chicken recipe is fairly flexible in that sense. Thyme, oregano, and sage would all be delicious additions.
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to see what I am getting up to.
You will need:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lemon, save the grated lemon zest for the garlic butter mixture
- lemon zest
- ½ onion, quarted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 fresh rosemary, diced finely
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven (with fan) to 150C/302F.
- Add butter, rosemary, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Generously season chicken with salt and pepper, including inside of the cavity. Carefully and without damaging the skin, make some pockets. Fill these pockets with a mixture of butter, lemon zest, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff chicken with lemon slices, onion, garlic, and rosemary.
- Tie together the legs if desired—place chicken in a roasting pan. Cook and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes until the core temperature has reached 78 degrees.
- Let the chicken cook for 10 minutes before carving.
- If you have leftover chicken, you can shred it and add it to soups, sandwiches, salads, and more!