Lasagne is a classic in many cuisines around the world. This recipe gives you a really delicious vegetarian version of the recipe, where you still get a great taste.
In addition, it contains very few carbohydrates, as no lasagne plates are used in the recipe. Instead, eggplant is used as lasagna sheets.
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to see what I am getting up to.
You will need:
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed and minced
- 500 grams ground meat
- 2 large eggplant
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C/392F.
- Slice eggplant thinly about 1/4″ thick. Heat oil in a frying pan and arrnage the sliced eggplant on it. Fry until slightly soft, set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry garlic and onion for 1 minute. Add ground meat and cook until no longer pink and well browned. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, dried seasoning then season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lightly grease a deep baking dish pan. To assemble, spead about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the baking dish pan. Place eggplant slices on top then top with some grated cheese. Repeat layering two times to create two complete layers. To finish, top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot.