What is half of 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup, 2/3 cup and more?
Have you experienced cutting recipes down because the recipe you have found is too big? It is important to convert measurements carefully, especially when baking. Precision is necessary!
How to cut a recipe in half or double quantity amount
|Original recipe measure||Half scaled measure||Double scaled measure|
|8 cups||4 cups||1 gallon|
|7 cups||3 1/2 cups||14 cups|
|6 cups||3 cups||12 cups|
|5 1/2 cups||2 3/4 cups||11 cups|
|5 cups||2 1/2 cups||10 cups|
|4 1/2 cups||2 1/4 cups||9 cups|
|4 cups||2 cups||8 cups|
|3 1/2 cups||1 3/4 cups||7 cups|
|3 cups||1 1/2 cups||6 cups|
|2 1/2 cups||1 1/4 cups||5 cups|
|2 cups||1 cup||4 cups|
|1 3/4 cups||3/4 cup + 2 tbsp||3 1/2 cups|
|1 2/3 cups||1/2 cup + 1/3 cup||3 1/3 cups|
|1 1/2 cups||3/4 cup||3 cups|
|1 1/3 cups||10 tbsp + 2 tsp||2 2/3 cups|
|1 1/4 cups||1/2 cup + 2 tbsp||2 1/2 cups|
|1 cup||1/2 cup||2 cups|
|3/4 cup||3 tbsp||1 1/2 cups|
|2/3 cup||1/3 cup||1 1/3 cups|
|1/2 cup||1/4 cup||1 cup|
|1/3 cup||2 tbsp + 2 tsp||2/3 cup|
|4 tbsp (or 1/4 cup)||2 tbsp||1/2 cup|
|3 tbsp||1 1/2 tbsp (or 4 tsp)||6 tbsp|
|2 tbsp (or 1/8 cup)||1 tbsp||1/4 cup|
|1 1/2 tbsp||1 1/4 tsp||3 tbsp|
|1 tbsp||1 1/2 tsp (1/2 tbsp)||2 tbsp|
|2 1/2 tsp||1 1/4 tsp||5 tbsp|
|2 tsp||1 tsp||4 tsp|
|1 3/4 tsp||7/8 tsp||3 1/2 tsp|
|1 1/2 tsp||3/4 tsp||3 tsp (or 1 tbsp)|
|1 1/4 tsp||5/8 tsp||2 1/2 tsp|
|1 tsp||1/2 tsp||2 tsp|
|1/2 tsp||1/4 tsp||1 tsp|
|1/4 tsp||1/8 tsp||1/2 tsp|
|1/8 tsp||dash or pinch||1/4 tsp|
Here is a quick summary of some of the basic cooking conversions.
Tips for Scaling Recipes
Keep these tips in mind as you go:
- Make your conversions before you start cooking. Take a moment to convert the numbers and write them down so you don’t forget them.
- Know what ingredients to convert and what ingredients not to convert. You shouldn’t cut back too much on seasoning, or else you will end up with a dish that is too bland.
- Taste with your recipe as you cook. Taste as you go and season accordingly.
- Use smaller pots and pans. If you cut a brownie recipe in half but pour the batter into the same sized pan, your brownies will come out a lot flatter and crispier than expected.
- Measure the ingredients. Using a kitchen scale is the most reliable and precise way to ensure your measurements are exactly as you need them.
If you like or know anyone who would like this conversion chart then share this with them. It will come in really handy when you come across an amazing recipe in another measurement.