Life is good, and cheese makes it even better. These fried cheese spring rolls are great as snacks, appetizers, and side dishes.
This cheese spring roll requires only 3 ingredients – cheddar cheese, spring rolls wrapper, and vegetable oil for frying.
You will need:
- 1 block cheddar cheese
- 33 sheets spring rolls wrapper
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- Slice a block of cheese, and you can slice them according to your desired thickness. And slice each piece into sticks. I make 3 sticks for every rectangular slice.
How to wrap cheese sticks
- Take one piece of spring roll wrapper (TIPS: cover the spring roll wrappers with a towel to prevent them from drying) and place one cheese stick on the bottom of the wrapper. You can check out my Filipino Spring Rolls recipe if this is your first time to wrap food using spring roll wrappers.
- Using both hands, roll the wrapper upwards, tightening the roll as you go. Stop when you are halfway. Fold both sides in, like an envelope. Continue to roll upwards, then moisten the edge with water to seal. Repeat the same procedure until you wrap all the cheese sticks.
- Place rolled cheese sticks on a plate.
Frying cheese sticks
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Wait until the oil gets very hot before putting the wrapped cheese sticks.
- Carefully drop the cheese sticks into the hot oil. Deep fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the wrapper turns slightly brown.
- Remove from the oil immediately as soon as the cheese starts melting.
- Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve warm with mayo-ketchup sauce or any dipping sauce of choice.