I always need new everyday dishes that are easy to make and delicious to eat. This dish totally lives up to my wish.
Meatloaf is always a favorite in most households because it’s great comfort food, plus it’s economical. You can make it with what you have in the fridge or the kitchen drawer, and it makes it super-anti-food waste food.
The recipe is basically the same as for the meatballs, but you can put interesting, great ingredients inside in this meatloaf recipe. Here I have put whole cornichons in to make it look fun when cutting a slice.
As mentioned, you can make the meatloaf with all sorts of ingredients. So enjoy it! And try olives and feta cheese, beets and parsley, nuts and blue cheese, or just herbs or…
You can serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes, oven-roasted potatoes, and veggies or even warm white rice.
Can you freeze meatloaf?
Yes! You can make meatloaf ahead and freeze it BEFORE cooking. Once the meatloaf mixture has been shaped in your pan or loaf pan, cover the loaf pan tightly with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. Defrost raw frozen meatloaf in the fridge overnight before baking in the oven.
Or you can also freeze AFTER cooking. When cooked, cool completely and freeze in individual slices wrapped in parchment or baking paper to keep them juicy. Place all slices in an airtight container or freezer bag, and reheat slices as you need them.
There are also many different variations of this classic; probably every culture has its own twist. You can try my Meatloaf with the glaze – juicy and flavourful on the inside, with a caramelized glaze outside.
More pork recipes
You will need:
- 500 g ground pork or beef
- 1 egg
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 15 – 20 pieces cornichons
- 1 red bell pepper
- green herbs fx estragon, parsley, thyme, rinsed and chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven at 200°C.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, eggs, onions, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a parchment paper in the bottom of a baking dish. Layout a layer of meat mixture as the bottom of your meatloaf.
- Place four to six cornichons on top. Add a layer of meat mixture again, then cornices again.
- Finish off with a layer of meat mixture and press the meatloaf together into a lovely loaf shape.
- Bake the meatloaf in the oven at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Once slightly cooled, cut the meatloaf into even-sized slices.
- Serve with roast potatoes or warm white rice.