Danish sausage, know as Medisterpølse, is perfectly suited to the cold months, serving with red cabbage and potatoes.
I prepared the sausage to first boil for about 10 – 15 minutes and fried in a skillet. The sausage is turned until it was nice and brown.
Here in Denmark, medister sausage is one of Christmas’s favorites. We usually serve it with roast potatoes or dark rye bread and a lovely homemade red cabbage. Preserved red cabbage is commonly served with meals here in Denmark. If you can’t prepare it from scratch, red cabbage can be purchased in jars here. The brand I used is Beauvais. It is so simple to prepare; you open the jar and heat it on the stovetop.
Medister sausage is super simple to prepare and does not require great skills. The only thing I have learned, however, is that a medister sausage needs time and patience. I fry it at low heat, so it cooked right into the middle and nice crispy outside. 👌
If you have tried this recipe or any other recipe on my blog, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube to see what I am getting up to.
You will need:
- 1 kg of potatoes
- water and salt, for cooking potatoes
- 500 g raw danish ‘medister’ sausage
- water, soy sauce, onion, black peppercorns, and bay leaves, for simmering ‘medister’ sausage
- cooking oil, for frying
- brown sauce
- red cabbage
- green beans
- Peel the potatoes and cook them tender in a pot of salted water.
How to cook the Danish medister sausage
- Bring as much water into a pan, add some soy sauce, onion, black peppercorns, and bay leaves. REMEMBER! You should not add salt to the water as the medister sausages are already salted. Let it boil, then lower the heat and add the medister sausage. Simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Save approx. 3 – 4 parts of the boiling water in a bowl and discard the rest. I usually prick the medister sausage with a meat pin while it is simmering.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and dry it with a paper towel.
- When the sausage has good color and the skin is brittle, please remove it from the pan.
- Serve the sausage with potatoes, sauce, and red cabbage.