Have you tried making your own sushi at home? It is actually easy and cheap to make. You will find this super tasty tempura maki with crispy chicken and creamy avocado in today’s recipe. 🍣
- I prefer a thin layer of rice in my rolls; if you want a thicker layer, you can increase the rice quantity.
- Sake, sushi rice, and sushi vinegar can be purchased at selected Asian grocery stores. Nori, panko, and other sushi ingredients can be purchased from regular grocery stores and Asian food stores.
Several readers do not eat shellfish, and sushi with chicken has therefore been much in demand. I must say the clean, and good flavors of this sushi became a winner at our dinner table. But of course, how you fill your homemade sushi is entirely up to you. 😊
You will need:
- 1 chicken breast, cut into strips
- 125 ml of water
- 100 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- cooked Sushi rice
- 2 nori sheets split in two
- 1/2 avocado divided into 8 equal slices
- sesame seeds
- soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger
- For the sushi rice, please follow this recipe and procedure.
For tempura chicken
- Heat some oil for frying on medium high heat.
- Divide the chicken breast into approx. 8 to 10 sized strips, depending on how big the chicken is. The pieces should be approx. 1.5×1.5cm thick.
- Then mix together flour, water, oil, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Dip the chicken strips in the batter before covering them with panko. Fry the chicken until the crust turns golden brown. Vary the heat between medium high to medium.
Roll the Tempura maki
- Place 1 nori sheet on a sushi mat, with the smooth side down. Add approx—1/4 of the rice on the sheet. Spread the rice well without mashing the rice grain.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on the rice and use your hand’s palm to squeeze the seeds slightly into the rice.
- Turn the nori sheet with the rice. Place 2 slices of avocado and 1 to 2 chicken strips on top of the sheet.
- Place your thumbs under the mat. Grasp the mat and sheet, fold over the crease so that the top end wraps the crease. Continue the process and pull the entire sheet using the mat over to the end to connect everything. Squeeze a little back and forth so that the whole roll is nice and even.
- Divide the maki roll into 6 to 8 equal pieces and serve these delicious maki pieces with soy sauce, ginger, and wasabi, if desired.