Homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu is just always great! Cordon Bleu is such a real classic, originally made from veal, but I’ve always used chicken breast instead.
What to serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu
We usually cook two chicken breasts and then divide them in half so that we all get half each and then with good vegetables, salad, bread, potatoes, or whatever we want, and it’s a season.
You will need:
- 3 chicken breast, skinless and bonelees
For the filling
- 2 cooked ham, sliced
- 6 slices of fresh mozzarella
For the breading
- 50 grams all-purpose flour
- 40 grams breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- cooking oil, for frying
Preparing the chicken
- Cut a deep pocket into the side of the chicken breast without cutting through.
- Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap on a cutting board and flatten to a 1/4 inch thickness with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Working one at a time, arrange chicken smooth side down on a work surface. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cover with one slice of ham and two slices of cheese, leaving space around the edges.
- Fold breast in half over ham and cheese and press edges together to firmly seal. Wrap the chicken tightly in the plastic wrap and twisting it to create a firm chicken roll. Refrigerate the wrapped chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to one day in advance.
Breading the chicken
- Place flour in a shallow plate, in another bowl beat egg, and place breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dip it in flour, then turn in whisked egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Transfer to a plate.
Frying the chicken
- Fry Chicken Cordon Bleu on a pan with melted butter on both sides for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and cook through.
- Once the chicken breast has finished frying, I finished the cooking by baking the cordon bleu in the oven. Place the rolled chicken breast in a baking dish and transfer it to a preheated oven (180 degrees Celcius)—Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest 5 minutes before serving and slicing.
- Serve the Chicken Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes or rice with simple greed salad.