Brunsviger is a classic Danish coffee cake of sorts. It is a soft yeast dough topped with a generous serving of butter and brown sugar. And to celebrate our yearly Brunsviger day, I made this recipe using my sourdough discard. 😊👌
Tips and notes
- I always use cooler room temperature water when mixing and kneading in a stand mixer.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Perform the windowpane stretch test.
- My baking dish size is 35cmx23cm
- The brunsviger cake is done when the thermometer reads close to 90C / 190F.
Love this Sourdough Discard Brunsviger?
Why not give a few of my other sourdough discard recipes a try!
- Sourdough Carrot Buns
- Gooey Sourdough Double Chocolate Brownie
- Sourdough Discard Pizza
- Sourdough Banana Bread
- Garlic and Cheddar Cheese Breadsticks
- Ube (Purple Yam) Sourdough Crumpets
- Overnight Sourdough Pancake
You will need:
For the main dough
- 500 grams sourdough discard
- 50 grams sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 190 grams flour
- 50 grams butter
- 125 grams butter
- 150 grams brown sugar
- 4 tbsp dark syrup
- 1/2 tså cinnamon powder
- 65 grams butter
- 75 grams brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark syrup
- Take sourdough discard out of the fridge and let it stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- Stir sourdough discard, sugar, salt, egg, and flour together in the mixing bowl with a flat beater for 3 minutes.
Then add butter and knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes. Check the gluten network along the way.
- Distribute the dough in a greased baking pan (35cmx25cm), press a lot of holes in the dough and leave the dough on the kitchen table for 2 hours (23C / 73F).
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar, syrup, and cinnamon. Set aside until ready to use.
- After 2 hours, press a lot of holes again in the dough and spread the butter/brown sugar mixture or the topping #1 over and press a lot of holes again. Leave the dough on the kitchen table for 1 hour (23C / 73F).
- Preheat oven at 200C/390F (up and down heat).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 200C/390F or bake the bread until the core temperature is up to 90C/194F.
- Spread the filling/topping #2 over the dough.
- Enjoy! 😊