Since I was a kid, this dessert has always been on our dinner table for Media Noche (New Year’s Eve feast). But this isn’t just for special occasions. It’s a favorite everyday Filipino dessert or snack that’s so good with a cup of coffee.
This is almost similar to biko; the only difference is the topping and the color of the cake.
This recipe is not hard to master but it does involve a lot of mixing, Enjoy!
You will need:
For the coconut caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Bibingkang malagkit
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups glutinous rice or malagkit na bigas, soaked for 6 to 12 hrs
- extra coconut oil, for greasing the baking dish
The night before making the Bibingkang Malagkit
- Washed and soaked the glutinous rice with cold water. Cover it and set it aside. If you’re living in a warm area, I recommend putting the rice in the fridge.
- For the sauce, cook all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Let it boil while stirring often. Cook until the sauce thickens and the color becomes darker. Mix and cook it for about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Making the Bibingkang Malagkit
- Greased a 9×13 inches / 33×23 cm baking dish pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Drained the glutinous rice and discarded the water.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, melt the coconut oil, then add the coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the glutinous rice and cook it with sugar and coconut milk. Mix well and cook until the rice gets soft. After 15 minutes, your rice should be ready.
- Transfer and spread the rice mixture in the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to spread it out evenly—Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, pour the 3/4 of the coconut caramel sauce on top of the baked Bibingkang Malagkit and bake for another 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the remaining coconut sauce and let the Bibingkang Malagkit cool completely before serving. Enjoy! 😊
- Adjust the sweetness if needed.