Nothing beats Arroz Caldo to warm you up in cold weather! Simple comfort food!
When I was growing up, my Lola (from Laguna) would make a large batch of Arroz Caldo because she had a carinderia before. Siguro nakuha ko sa kanya ang passion ko sa pagluluto. Naalala ko pa na gigising din ako ng maaga para tulungan sya sa ‘karinderya’ nya. 😍👩🍳
You can elevate the flavor of this dish by adding roasted garlic and safflower. Eggs can be omitted, but I suggest you try it first and squeeze a bit of ‘calamansi‘ or lemon juice to complete the package.
You will need:
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 5 cups hot water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 medium hard-boiled eggs, optional
- toasted garlic, for garnish
- spring onions, for garnish
- calamansi or lemon, optional
- Heat cooking oil in a pot or deep pan over medium heat.
- Saute ginger, onion, and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and fish sauce—cover and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour in the rice, then stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the water and cover the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and occasionally stir to avoid burning the rice at the bottom of the pot.
- Let simmer until the rice is fully cooked, approx. 25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and dash with ground black pepper.
- Serve hot and top it off with the hard-boiled egg, toasted garlic, and spring onions.